In this article, we will go over design defaults on Crown & Bridge design.
Default process to follow on cases with NO design guide codes or instructions
Library: Matt Roberts
Occlusion: Out of occlusion by 0.30.
- Single units' posterior/anterior- Design will mimic the same shape, size, contours, anatomy of existing dentition with a slight improvement. Contacts will be designed "broad" by default. Any anatomy enhancements/changes MUST be specified by the customer utilizing the current design guide codes available.
- Manual screw retained crowns- Hole will be placed based on the pattern of the hole in the abutment. We will not angle the access hole unless specified by the customer with the design guide code.
- Orders containing Pre-ops-
- Pre ops must be used as a "guide" by default. Designers will follow basic shape and size of the pre op while improving the overall anatomy and contours. Designer will also maintain default occlusion and contacts set by the customer. (*Apply to any case).
- Whenever a partial preop is added follow for shape, clasp, or rest shape.
- If Pre op X is selected designers MUST follow exact as a copy but adjust the occlusion, contacts and minimum thickness needed. (*Apply to any case).
- Orders with missing adjacent teeth: Crown will be designed ideally based on existing teeth. Space will not be closed unless specified by customer. (*Apply to any case).
- Orders with no antagonist- Crown design will be ideal based on existing height of adjacent teeth. (*Apply to any case).
- As a default we will add necking feature to design if needed.
- Bridge restorations- Similar to single units other than the pontic location and connector styles.
- Pontic designs by default will be designed at 0.00 tissue pressure (light smoothing on edges) with a modified ridge lap.
- No connectors are added for FCZ bridges, smooth on cervical area.
Copings and cutbacks
- Cutback restorations- Our default cutback is the Z-1 with open contacts (X) (See image).
- Collar: heights will be set to 1MM by default if not specified and will be placed on lingual area. (Y-90 Lingual collar).
- Copings- Minimum thickness is based on material settings. Designers will leave 1.5mm + occlusion value default by customer of space for porcelain by default and we will add light smoothing on the surface. Both anatomical copings and simple copings.
Ex 1.5 and occlusion 0.30
- Frame bridges: Minimum thickness is based on material settings.
- Simple frame: Designers will leave 1.5mm + occlusion value default by customer of space for porcelain by default. Connectors will be designed at 9x9 on posteriors (On anteriors 7x7 connector) with a pontic style of a modified ridge lap with 1mm of space between the tissue and pontic.
- Anatomical coping frame with cutback: Pontic will keep cervical area (0.00 mm on the tissue). Cutback between the pontic and crowns will keep the contact, the bridge will be merged together with the smooth at the last step.
- Remember cutback default is "Cutback-Facial Cutback Extending Over Incisal Edge with open contacts", just as a single anatomical coping.
Full arch / half arch restoration
- Full arch restorations- This can vary but based on the anatomy preference designers will utilize the proposed anatomy to maintain as much existing detail as possible while managing form and function of the antagonist.
- If it is half of the arch, we will maintain proposed anatomy (features) but following the shape and size of the other half of the arch.
- Orders containing models- Defaults set inside Control Panel for Model settings will always be followed. i.e.. Base height, die shape, model hollowing, etc.
- Abutment cases- All orders must contain a soft tissue by default.
- Trimming- Trim only excess data and palate. Make both upper/lower similar in size for basing.
- Articulators- Vertex w/ pins.
- Gingiva cutting- By default do not cut gingiva with all the design. This also applies to contacts. (Make the original model by default).
- Model tagging- No tag is added by default.
- Model cases with only one arch will have an articulator added if there is a code for articulator (selected as default). If there is no code, then the case will be NOA by default.
- Die insertion should be reviewed so it is not cutting the adjacent.
Screw retained crowns
- Automatic hole: The hole creates automatically on screw retained crowns, hole will be placed based on the pattern of the hole in the abutment. We will not angle the access hole unless specified by the customer with the design guide code.
- No extra shoulder (or “balcony”) from the abutment base (smooth buccal formation).
- Orders containing screw retained crowns emerge profile will be adapted to tissue and use light smoothing to avoid sharp edges/holes on surface.
- Order containing temporary pontic unprepared will be designed as full coverage (Buccal - lingual) over the existing teeth. Do not adjust to teeth shape.
Any cases submitted to the FullContour platform will be designed with our internal defaults. Any design changes must be communicated through the clickable design guide codes inside the design guide.
Please email Customer Support at support@fullcontour or Chat with us for any further questions!